Red maples are flowering in southern New England, but I suspect feeders may
be of prime importance for those birds that have made it north already.

John

DAVID . . .

My guess is that this may be one of those years when sapsucker wells--those
horizontal, sap-oozing holes made by Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers--may be of
more importance than usual in the northern part of the ruby-throat's range.
(See images at http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek060515.html)

Hummers may also take small amounts of sap from tree buds that likely will
be bursting early.

I suspect warm weather that allows hummers to be further north than usual
also will cause earlier-than-normal emergence of insects that will provide
needed fats and proteins.

The big question may be what will happen if there is a sudden cold snap now
that ruby-throats are so far north. Will adults survive? Will early nesters
lose the first clutch or eggs--or even a first brood? We'll have to wait
and see, i guess.  :-)

Cheers,

BILL