Hi Simone,

The choice here is yours but, you know, if you were able to wait even a few
more months before taking the little one into the field it would be a
better/easier scenario for all involved. The time goes by very very
quickly. Perhaps this season, if you absolutely HAVE to collect your data,
you could have a family member take care of junior, or put her in child
care with bottles of formula/breastmilk. I'm not sure about the US, but
child care in Australia has been fantastic for my little one (she's now 18
months) and very reasonably priced.

Like I said, it's your decision, but it does 'seem' from the outside that
it may be good for you to take a little more time thinking about where your
priorities lie (I'm sorry if that's the wrong assumption). Again, I'm not
sure about the situation in the US, but you really shouldn't feel pressured
to get your work done at such extremes just to move forward in your career.
I know there are a lot of older female scientists out there with these
kinds of 'hard core' stories but most of them I find very unbalanced (with
great careers) and with kids who have grown up with a fair bit of
resentment (and other issues).

It's really up to our generation of mothers (and fathers) to change this
type of impossible and sub-standard expectation of parents. Who is
expecting you to go out and do this work with a 3-month-old? i had to make
a few small sideways shifts, but I have managed to find an exceptional lab
who is at the cutting-edge of their field, yet because the lab is run by
young-ish parents they have realistic expectations of their staff - and we
produce excellent work. Is there no such support for you or for any
colleagues you know? After all, it won't be long before you and your cohort
will be the ones running labs and making the rules.

Finally, have you thought about your physical health here? Weight bearing
and hiking for long periods of time so soon after giving birth can leave
you with incontinence/prolapse as young as 45 (if you had a natural birth
and especially if you decide to have another child). And can compromise the
repair of your abdominal muscles. Have a look at the stats for these types
of complications. They have rapidly been on the increase in younger women
since the Eigthies.

Perhaps I am projecting my own experiences onto you here - and if so, just
ignore the above. It may be that you feel that this is how you are happiest
- and the pressure is coming from you.
If so, I hope you can find a way to keep everyone happy and healthy (and
dry) and I wish you lots of luck.

All the best,
Liz

--