I sent a reference to the Brown et al. (2008) paper
(http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.1614/IPSM-08-082.1) to Huang offline. I think
many other references were also sent offline.

As for Joshua's comment that "certain invasive species have led to unforeseen
benefits", there is a small (?) body of research and commentary on the impact
that invasive species are having on ecosystem services. The increase in the
distribution of invasive species is impacting ecosystems and not always to the
detriment of the system. In fact, articles by Hershner and Havens (2008)
(http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1523-1739.2008.00957.x/abstract),
Pattemore and Wilcove (2011)
(http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/279/1733/1597), and others
would support this premise and have raised considerable debate in other online
communities. In contrast, one of the biggest issues currently being debated is
how invasive plant species used for bioenergy production could have significant
effects if they escape into the local region
(http://www.nwf.org/News-and-Magazines/Media-Center/Reports/Archive/2012/04-04-12-Growing-Risk.aspx).
 Again, much has to do with how we define an "invasive", the context in which
we're referring to, and the setting we may be working in. I'm not sure if this
is the direction of the discussion for this thread, but it is something to
consider.

Steve

Stephen L. Young, PhD
Weed Ecologist