While I was doing my thesis research I traveled from Maine to Florida
taking pictures of trees.  I was specifically interested in open grown
crowns whose shape had not been modified by pruning, as city street trees
usually are.  Not surprisingly, cemeteries were one of my best sources.
For many species, cemeteries are tree heaven: lots of sun and little or no
competition above ground or below.  Though I don't have data, I expect that
such trees are vastly more productive of fruits/seeds than their forest
counterparts, and thus may be an important food resource for migratory and
resident animals.  Also, in many areas cemeteries adjoin undeveloped
(though disturbed) woods, and so they provide that "fringe habitat" that is
useful to many species.

Lastly, I think we are showing some vertebrate chauvinism here in
considering mostly birds, mammals, and herps.  Cemeteries are also good
places for worms (heh, heh), insects, fungus, mosses and lots of other
"insignificant" species that need a place to live that is better than
asphalt or concrete.

Martin M. Meiss