Hello Mark,

I am second-generation Korean-American and I can ask family members for
more accurate information, but yes, I think that is true about pieces of
land being kept partially undeveloped for burial mounds of ancestors.
Traditionally, family members -- usually direct descendents -- go back
every year to weed, trim the grass, and offer their respects. I believe the
tradition varies slightly upon region as well -- for instance, on the
island of Jeju, burial mounds are often found in farm plots, although I do
not know if this is because the farms expanded around the graves or if
family members were buried deliberately on that land (I think it is more
likely the first).

These traditions are very rapidly disappearing, in Korea at least. I was in
Korea just last year and visited my grandparents' graves. My grandfather
was buried in a stretch of rural forest, while my grandmother was buried in
a  modern cemetery, her grave one among crammed thousands. South Korea has
one of the highest population densities in the world, and indeed land is a
most limited resource, something that is especially evident when you visit
a Korean park. You will likely encounter just as many, if not more, people
there as you would on an average American city street corner. Please note,
population density is extremely skewed, with cities overwhelmingly crowded
(the Seoul metropolitan area contains a quarter of the entire country's
population) and many rural regions suffering from severe lack of
young-to-middle-aged adults.

Studying natural areas in Korea would be somewhat complicated because most
of Korea's forests were stripped during the Japanese annexation and
invasion of the early 20th century. Much of the land has since been
reforested through efforts made in the 50s/60s/70s, but those forests are
not only very young, they were also planted more with industrial pursuits
in mind. Therefore, species composition often does not reflect what the
native ecology might have looked like.

-Grace Ha