From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news
[ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU] On Behalf Of Basil Iannone [bian...@uic.edu]
Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2012 9:19 AM
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] Lovelock retracts

This article (not Lovelock's, but the woman's) brings up an important point
about climate change, the lack of scientific understanding in our society
as a whole, and the role of scientists in educating the public. Clearly the
general public do not understand climate change or even "believe" in it.
And why should they when the media and politicians feed them inaccurate
information (be it intentionally or not). So I ask, should scientists start
communicating more to the general public; and would communicating more to
the general public be more of a benefit to our society than increasing our
publication record?

NOTE: I am asking this question, not to be critical (I too work to publish
as we all should), but to get opinions as to the role that scientists
should be playing in communicating what we know. It seems like the
knowledge is getting lost (or altered) in between our journals and the
popular media (for whatever reasons). What are the chances that scientists
will start to be evaluated not only on their publication record, but also
on how much they try to facilitate understanding in the public?

All thought and comments are welcomed.

--
Basil Iannone
University of Illinois at Chicago