On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 8:19 AM, Basil Iannone <bian...@uic.edu> wrote:

> So I ask, should scientists start communicating more to the general
> public;

A recent study (Brulle et al. in press, below)  shows that U.S. public
opinion on climate change is little influenced by access to scientific
information, but is mostly determined by cues from politicians and
political elites. Maybe we as scientists should focus on winning over
politicians rather than direct appeal to the populace as a whole.

Brulle, Robert, Jason Carmichael, J. Jenkins. Shifting public opinion on
climate change: an empirical assessment of factors influencing concern over
climate change in the U.S., 2002–2010. Climatic Change. In press (available
Online First: http://www.springerlink.com/content/k17856khp026w174/ )

Cheers,

Chris Merkord
Vermillion, SD