Paul,

"Therefore the flattening trend could conceivably continue"... really?  You
are seriously advocating a, "I'm not going to wear my seat-belt or helmet
in this car race because I *might* not have an accident," approach?

If you look at the charts and the history of peaks and troughs the
perceived "flattening trend" looks no different from any of the previous
momentary luls in a progressively steeper slope.  There is nothing within
those charts justifying the assumption that the supposed flattening trend
is likely to continue, indeed indications are the opposite from that
assumption.

The wait and see approach is a lazy and, in my mind, irresponsible
approach.  Furthering the analogy above, if things don't go as you expect,
it's like trying to put on a seat-belt in the middle of car accident rather
than just wearing the thing in the first place.

You wouldn't put your toddler in the front seat of a car with no safety
gear while driving in traffic, please have the same sense of responsibility
and respect for others when it comes to our planet.

Neahga