My skepticism regrading the CO2 argument comes from looking at what causes the
greenhouse effect and the relative contribution of CO2 to the greenhouse
effect. As we all know water vapour is the cause of the greenhouse effect, and
lacking water vapour in the atmosphere there likely wouldn't be a greenhouse
effect. A small change in water vapour concentration, say +- 0.1%, is a change
several fold greater than the total effect of CO2, and such changes in water
vapour concentrations occur continuously. And then there are winds....

I personally don't care one way or another about the CO2 argument though, it's
the bad science that I don't like. If we were looking at human driven climate
change properly, we would investigate all possible drivers, generate some basic
statements (that are either true or false), do some experiments and see which
explanations most accurately predict reality by rejecting those that don't.
Statements left standing following experimentation will have that empirical
base. With CO2 some "decider" has simply decided it has to to CO2, and to look
at anything else makes one a heretic.

Why is it political? Consider fracking gas as one example (I use that name just
so you know what gas I am talking about). Big oil discovers this gas, a large
energy reserve. One thing we use such energy for is boiling water to produce
electricity. However we have coal, which is cheap and plentiful, and far
cheaper than fracking gas even when all you emit is CO2 and water when you burn
the coal. So what to do? Make coal more expensive so the fracking gas is more
competitive. So you push the CO2 argument to force people to eliminate the CO2
when they burn coal so as to make coal more expensive allow the fracking gas to
be more competitive, and we do that. Note that there is no mandate to burn
fracking gas such that no CO2 is emitted! We even have a political edict that
CO2 is a pollutant, which is amazing to me. This is not a democrat or
republican thing, FWIW, as both Bush II and Obama have pursued this. I also
really don't care much if we use coal or fracking gas to boil water, just the
quality of the science.

Since the ozone hole problem is still ongoing, I have to wonder if CFCs are the
only cause. Again, some "decider" decided is had to be caused only by CFCs,
even though that theory has not gone through the rigors of normal science. I
have no problem with banning CFCs; good riddance IMHO. I do have a problem with
the poor quality of the science.

As we all know, any "consensus" in science is derived from the empirical
support for a theory, not arm-twisting and other political hackery. Any
political consensus is invalid scientifically. This isn't the Environmental
Science Society of America, it's the Ecological Society of America, and we
should do better, IMHO. IMHO we should be more the voice of reason and less the
voice of various political trends of the day.

Rob Hamilton