Dear Rob,

I doubt that ignoring the conclusions of previous climate studies will
improve the vitality of Ecology or Climatology as fields of inquiry.

You seem to assume that climatologists don't use the scientific method, but
what you describe is exactly the process they have used to assess whether
and how CO2 contributes to climate change. They developed alternative
explanations of warming trends (e.g., CO2 vs water as drivers), derived
predictions from these explanations (e.g., "annual mean temperatures should
correlate with CO2 levels", or "CO2 should absorb and re-emit infrared
radiation more than other atmospheric gases"), and tested these predictions
using observational studies and/or experiments. To ignore the results of
these previous studies and deny their most fundamental conclusions (e.g.,
that CO2 contributes to global temperature increases) would be
counter-productive and keep science from progressing. If their conclusions
turn out to be wrong, then eventually the weight of evidence will move the
field in a new direction. But, the weight of evidence is pretty strong now
for CO2-induced warming, so I sort of doubt that conclusion will be
overturned anytime soon.

Personally, I am grateful to the many climatologists who have cared deeply
enough about the causes of climate change to test their ideas and publish
their results. This is partly because I suspect many of them have made
personal and financial sacrifices to maintain their research programs.

Sincerely,

Tom Raffel

--

Thomas R. Raffel, Ph.D.