A fascinating question. The first thing that comes to my mind is that
all students should learn the rudiments of systems thinking, at least
at the level of Donella Meadows' book _Thinking in Systems_, and some
should take it much further.

The nationalism you mention is a potential source of serious problems.
Geology and evolutionary biology (the history of life) tie in with
mining and biodiversity but also provide a broader perspective that
may be very salutary. Same for world history and geography -- useful
for international business and working with tourists, but also
providing a bit of perspective. None of this has to be at a very deep
level. A freshman-level introductory course should be enough.

As for languages, I think students should learn SOME widely used
language. It's probably best to give them a few choices (English,
French, Chinese, Arabic, and maybe Spanish or Portuguese come to
mind), although English is likely to be a popular one.

Jane Shevtsov

--
Jane Shevtsov, Ph.D.

"In the long run, education intended to produce a molecular
geneticist, a systems ecologist, or an immunologist is inferior, both
for the individual and for society, than that intended to produce a
broadly educated person who has also written a dissertation." --John
Janovy, Jr., "On Becoming a Biologist"