I'm very sorry to see that a few folks have had bad experiences in grad
school. Many of us had very happy and productive times as graduate students.
But I've seen enough over the years to recognize that faults in advisors, or in
advisees, or both can result in mediocre to bad outcomes – most often for the
advisee, but sometimes for the advisor as well.

 I did, however, want to comment on the statement that

"When we graduate, we have more or less the same credentials as everyone else
(with) a degree."

 If you intend to pursue an academic career in research, nothing could be
further than the truth. In cases where large numbers of recently minted Ph.D.'s
or post-docs apply for several jobs in the same field, often the same,
relatively few individuals get to short lists and are interviewed across the
country. Applicants whose Ph.D. research (and subsequent work) are perceived to
have significant, novel implications – and be scalable to future endeavors, and
fundable by NSF or other agencies or foundations – are much more likely to be
interviewed and offered jobs. That is what search committees look for. Not that
search committees never make mistakes; they do, sometimes egregiously. A Ph.D.
gets you in the door to submit an application, but you need excellent research,
combined with strong writing and oral presentation skills, ability to think on
your feet, and empathy to interact well with students and colleagues, to have a
real chance of success at landing a job at first- or second-tier universities.

Thomas J. Givnish
Henry Allan Gleason Professor of Botany
University of Wisconsin

givn...@wisc.edu