Well said on all counts (note I am a couple of posts behind already! -
this is in response to Tom's original post).

The advisor-advisee relationship is like most others, it is about "fit."
One size does not fit all, which is why it is difficult for Universities
to "screen" advisors a priori, as has been suggested.  What works for one
student does not necessarily work for another, so one person's lousy
advisor may provide just what another needs.  Students needs vary, as do
professors capacities.  There are undoubtedly professors out there that
should not take on students, but there has been good advice on how to
prescreen for that, and, yes, Universities can be lax in recognizing such
situations.  But, it is equally important to keep in mind the overall
environment of the "lab" and the program.  While the choice of advisor may
be the most critical decision, often this larger environment provides as
much support as the advisor and students often learn as much (or more)
from the larger environment created within a "lab", or among a set of
interacting "labs," as they do directly from their advisor or from
structured learning.  Look for an environment where students are genuinely
excited about what they are doing, and can tell you about their own work
with clarity and enthusiasm. What made a great graduate student experience
for me was being surrounded by bright, energetic people who were
interested in the same things (writ large) as I was.

Tom's second point was right on the mark as well.  No degree,
undergraduate or graduate, is a guarantee of a job in that field.  It
comes down to performance.  It is extremely competitive out there,
especially for academic jobs.  One reason for care in picking an
advisor/program is to have a good graduate student experience, the other
(and more critical) is to allow you to get the best out of yourself and
make yourself competitive for the kind of job you envision as your life's
work.  It is the same whether you are a sculptor, architect, musician, or
scientist - you have to strive to be the best at what you do.  Then, even
if you fall short of you loftiest goals, you still have created many more
options for yourself.

And on the general subject of academia.  As Malcolm pointed out, most grad
students don't have a clue as to all that is involved in being an academic
(or they might not consider it at all!).  And to quote my own advisor "not
all graduate students are larval professors." Nor should they be; there
are lots of options out there.  But despite the thousand daily
frustrations of academia and all the things that get between you and what
you really got into this for, that is to do science and convey that
excitement to students, I, for one, can't imagine doing anything else.

William J. Resetarits, Jr
Professor
Department of Biological Sciences
Texas Tech University