Call for Proposals
Symposia, Organized Oral Sessions, and Organized Poster Sessions

99th Annual Meeting of the Ecological Society of America
Sacramento, California
August 10-15, 2014
http://www.esa.org/sacramento

Deadline for Submission: September 26, 2013
Only proposals that are complete and submitted by 5:00 PM Eastern Time will be
considered.

We invite proposals for Symposia, Organized Oral Sessions, and Organized Poster
Sessions for ESA's 99th Annual Meeting to be held in Sacramento, California.
The theme for the 2014 meeting is "From Oceans to Mountains: It's All Ecology."
That's right! Ecology is everywhere. Whether we are exploring the depths of the
ocean, arid desert communities, or frigid mountaintops, we find abundant
ecological interaction among organisms and environment. These fascinating
relationships abound in every setting. California is an especially interesting
setting for studying ecology. It has all these and more! Its 160,000 square
miles is a center of extraordinary biodiversity and endemism, containing more
plant and animal species and more endemic species than any other state in the
United States. Our theme emphasizes the inherent ecological diversity of the
state, fitting well between the theme of the 99th Annual Ecological Society of
America Meeting's emphasis on learning from the past and the 100th Annual
Meeting in 2015 which will develop a blueprint to shape the future.

Session proposals related to the meeting's theme are highly encouraged, but any
timely and coherent subject of broad interest will be considered. We also
welcome proposals that explore interdisciplinary connections with areas of
social and natural science outside of ecology or that relate to ecological
education at any level. Proposals examining historical topics and the history
of ecology are also encouraged. All proposals will be peer reviewed.

Symposia are the scientific centerpiece of the meeting. They are limited to
half-day sessions (3.5 hours) of 6 speakers each. Time devoted to synthesis,
summary, and discussion is strongly encouraged. This meeting will include 24
symposia.

Organized Oral Sessions are organized around a specific topic with speakers
invited by the organizer. Compared to Symposia, there is less emphasis on
breadth of appeal and overall synthesis and they may be comprised largely of
related case studies. Organized oral sessions are limited to half-day sessions
(3.5 hours). There is no set number of accepted Organized Oral Session
proposals for the meeting.

Organized Poster Sessions are sets of posters (in multiples of 5) organized
around a specific topic. All of the presenters are invited by the organizer.
Organized poster sessions will be scheduled at the same time as regular poster
sessions. All posters in each organized poster session will be placed as a
group in a designated area of the exhibit hall.

For additional information, please visit: http://www.esa.org/sacramento

If you have any questions, please contact the Program Chair, Hal Balbach
(hal.e.balb...@usace.army.mil) or the Science Programs Coordinator, Jennifer
Riem (jenni...@esa.org)