I'd suggest that before folks get too excited about challenges to "our
ideas regarding community assembly", they reread Gleason (1926), Whittaker
(1975) and Hubbell (2001), amongst others. Also isolated islands with
depauperate faunas and floras may not be the best models for general
ecological theory, although they have done pretty well for evolution.

David Duffy

--

Pacific Cooperative Studies Unit
Botany