 From: Erin Cleere <boogni...@yahoo.com>
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Sent: Monday, September 2, 2013 9:27 AM
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] Human-assembled ecosystem

So you pick feral cats over, for example, cattle? Cattle that negatively impact
soil and water quality and increase erosion, which in turn negatively affect
insects and bird communities (to name just a few impacts). Cattle that
introduced brucellosis, which spread amongst countless wildlife? We
domesticated cats and dogs thousands of years ago--did they start the species
extinctions then? Killing all feral and outdoor cats will not reverse air
pollution and habitat destruction, or do away with pesticides and herbicides.
And since many people aren't being responsible about domesticated pets (let's
not forget feral dogs if you're going to bring up feral cats), killing all the
ones you currently find outside won't solve the problem (i.e. people will still
dump them: not spayed, not neutered and often with kittens or puppies that they
don't want to take care of). You can trace the root of the problem for most
extinctions that are blamed on cats back to
humans. I mean hell, we introduced rats, snakes, feral hogs and cats to islands
where we all know how well endemic species do with them. Not to mention the
vast numbers of wildlife that were hunted for feathers, fur, hide and trophies
on islands and elsewhere. And there are places where scores of ferals have been
killed--but it hasn't solved the problems. We know that the livestock industry
isn't suddenly going to disappear--nor is industrial agriculture--even though
we know the extremely negative impact they have on wide swaths of habitat,
wildlife species and community health.

Why can't we focus on long-term solutions and work together instead of
continuing to find scapegoats?  It hasn't helped, it's not going to help and we
still have a lot of work to do.

--Erin Cleere
M.Sc, Burlington, VT

"The ultimate measure of a man or woman is not where he stands in moments of
comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and
controversy. The true neighbor will risk his position, his prestige, and even
his life for the welfare of others. In dangerous valleys and hazardous
pathways, he will lift some bruised and beaten brother or sister to a higher
and more noble life."
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.