The Smithsonian Institution, the world's largest museum and research complex,
offers several Post-Doctoral Fellowships annually to outstanding early career
scientists. The Smithsonian's distinctive combination of field research
facilities, museum archives, and internationally recognized expertise in
ecology, biological conservation, systematics, and paleobiology provide
unprecedented opportunities for synthetic, big-picture insights into some of
the most profound issues challenging our world today, including habitat loss,
climate change, and invasive species.

Some of the greatest challenges to our environment are in our most biologically
productive ecosystems - the coastal zone, where 70 percent of the world's
population lives, works, and plays. Scientists at the Smithsonian Environmental
Research Center<http://www.serc.si.edu/research/labs.jsp> (SERC) on the
Chesapeake Bay in Maryland have led ground-breaking studies on the ecological
dynamics between land and sea for over 40 years, including the world's longest
running study on the ecological effects of atmospheric CO2 change, and short
and long-term studies on food web dynamics, invasion biology, coastal and
upland ecosystem ecology, harmful algal blooms, ultraviolet radiation,
biogeochemistry, and nutrient and trace element cycling. Insights gained in
these systems will be crucial to developing science-based conservation plans
that allow human societies to thrive while protecting our finite natural
resources.

The Smithsonian and SERC are committed to training the next generation of
scientists with its internationally recognized Postdoctoral Fellowship program.
Smithsonian Fellows receive an annual stipend of $45,000 plus health,
relocation, and research allowances.  Each position is expected to run for two
years, with the second year of funding contingent upon satisfactory progress.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to coordinate with proposed SERC scientist
prior to submitting an application for this competitively-awarded fellowship.
Applications are due January 15, 2014. Please contact Professional Training
Coordinator Daniel Gustafson at gustafs...@si.edu<mailto:gustafs...@si.edu> for
further details.

Applications and submission details can be found at:
http://www.smithsonianofi.com/ or

http://www.serc.si.edu/pro_training/fellowships/postdoc.aspx

Daniel E Gustafson, Jr.
Smithsonian Environmental Research Center
Professional Training & Volunteer Coordinator
PO Box 28
647 Contees Wharf Rd
Edgewater, MD.  21037
443-482-2217