I've already received many, many replies in the first 48 hours since I
posted my request.  I've heard from more people than I can easily count--recent
Ph.D.s, graduate students, even undergraduates with difficult stories of hard
work, perseverance, and increasing despair that they will ever find work in the
disciplines they've trained for.

    I will do my best to respond to everyone who's contacted me; if you haven't
heard from me yet, it's only because there are so many others who have also
poured out their fears and their frustrations.  There are a great many people
in our field who have found their calling, earned their degree, and now can
find no way to support themselves--the invisible and disregarded of modern
academia.

    Because many of you have expressed concerns about privacy, let me say that
I won't share names, affiliations or any other identifying details unless the
individuals involved grant their permission.  If you or a friend have been
hesitating out of personal concerns, please know that I consider every contact
a confidence, and I don't intend to break that trust.

        - J. A.