Absolutely true, Malcolm and others.  Sure, OTS is an important organization
that provides access to tropical field locations for those students who can
afford it.  But when I was an undergrad, I had to work at a job year round, and
go to school near home.  I did not have money for travel to foreign countries,
I had to spend my money to eat, have a roof over my head, have clothing to
wear, and pay school expenses.

I have been a faculty member in institutions that served primarily poor and
mostly first generation students.  Though they generally had more financial
support than was typical 50 years ago, they still struggled financially.  Some
were single parents, trying to get a leg up in school.  Try telling the OTS
adviser that you'll be bringing your three year old with you.

No field courses at the institution?  Then for them, no field courses.  Even
making the field trips in country can be a struggle for some poor students,
when the institution specifies that students pay their own travel expenses.
Getting their head, and their wallet, around travel to Brazil may just be
beyond them.

But I made it a point to provide meaningful field biology experiences within my
department, and close to home.  And a major reason that is going away in so
many institutions is that field biology is going away.  It needn't.

David McNeely