Dear Gary,
There is a paper by Munz et al from 2009 entitled: When zombies attack:
mathematical modelling of an outbreak of zombie infection.
The introduction references are zombie movies but then there is some
serious modelling in that paper. That might be something you can use for
teaching.
Hope it helps,

Stef

--