With regard to "Di-podo-mus" vs. "Dip-o-do-mees": In English, there is no
rule saying that how we vocally form syllables must correspond to the
semantics underlying the syllables.  Thus, we can say ki-LOM-eter, even
though semantically there aren't any LOMs.

Another point: Using Latin rules of pronunciation probably made sense once,
but nowadays many new biological binomials are coming from Chinese,
Japanese, and other languages to which Latin pronunciation doesn't really
apply.  I think the best we can do is just apply familiar English
pronunciation rules where possible and hope for the best.

Martin M. Meiss