*UW-Madison, SILVIS Lab: One Postdoc or PhD position available to study
wildfires in the Wildland Urban Interface*

*Overview:*  The wildland urban interface (WUI) is where houses and
wildland vegetation mix or intermingle, and where wildland fire problems
are most vexing.  The SILVIS lab (silvis.forest.wisc.edu) has pioneered
research on the WUI for over a decade.  We are currently working on two
wildfire projects in the WUI.  In the first project, we model wildfire risk
in the WUI based on observed fire patterns as recorded by MODIS active fire
satellite data across the conterminous U.S., and to map the fire mitigation
zone.  In the second project, we assess how rebuilding and new development
after fires change the risk of future wildlife damage to houses, and
examine if communities in the WUI adapt when houses are lost to fires.

We are seeking to hire either a postdoc or a PhD student to contribute to
these projects.  The projects are part of a collaboration between
UW-Madison (V. Radeloff, S. Stewart), and the US Forest Service (M.
Mockrin), and funded by the Northern Research Station of the USFS and the
Joint Fire Sciences Program.

*Positions:* We are offering the postdoctoral position for two years.  The
appointment will be as a research associate.  Salary is competitive and
commensurate with experience.  The position is available immediately, and
we seek to fill it by September 1st 2016 at the latest.

We are offering the PhD graduate assistantship for three years.  The
student will be appointed as a research assistant with a stipend of $21,648
per year plus health benefits and tuition remission.  We anticipate the PhD
student to start September 1st 2016, but an earlier start date is
negotiable.

The University of Wisconsin-Madison is an equal opportunity/affirmative
action employer.  We promote excellence through diversity and encourage all
qualified individuals to apply.

 The university has a long history of excellence in ecology, conservation
biology, remote sensing and geography.  Either position would be based in
the SILVIS lab (http://silvis.forest.wisc.edu/) and supervised by V.
Radeloff.

 UW-Madison is a major research university in the United States ranking
consistently among the top-five university in research expenditures among
all U.S. universities.  Total student enrollment is 43,000 of which more
than 12,000 are graduate and professional students, and there are over 2000
faculty.  It is an exciting place to learn and conduct research.

The city of Madison ranks as one of the top places in the U.S. to live and
work.  For information about campus and city, please see
http://www.wisc.edu/about/

*Qualifications:*  We seek a candidate who works well in a collaborative
setting and has excellent communication and writing skills.  Good English
writing and verbal communication skills, as well as the ability to work in
a team, are essential.  Demonstrated skills in the processing and handling
of large datasets, statistical modeling, spatial ecology, and GIS are
expected.  Knowledge of remote sensing, fire ecology, or human demographics
is a plus.

Applicants for the post-doc position must have completed their Ph.D. at the
time of appointment and have published in peer-reviewed scientific
journals.  Applicants for the PhD student position must have a completed a
BS, and a MS by the time of appointment is desirable, but candidates with
equivalent experience will be considered.

 *To apply:*  All candidates should send a cover letter summarizing
their research interests, a CV, unofficial transcripts, and contact
information for three references.  Application packages need to be
compiled into one, single PDF file, and sent to max...@wisc.edu.

 Review of applicants will begin immediately, but the positions will remain
open until a suitable candidate is found.  Applications received by
February 5th 2016 are guaranteed consideration.

--
Brooke L. Bateman (Bateman-Plumb), PhD
Postdoctoral Research Associate