From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news
[mailto:ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU] On Behalf Of Emily Moran
Sent: Monday, February 1, 2016 8:03 PM
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] promoting Ecology course

If the question is "how do we get more students to see ecology as an
interesting career path" rather than "how to we get premeds to take ecology
classes", the key seems to be to expose them to interesting uses of ecology and
interesting ecological careers as early as possible.
In most schools, the kids who come in wanting to major in biology tend to say
they are pre-med, in part because that is the only biology-related career they
are aware of.

One thing we're trying at UCM is to have ladder-rank faculty give guest
lectures in the intro bio class - along with delivering the basic material, we
get the chance to tell students a little about our research and have the option
of talking about how they can get involved in research, other classes they
might consider if they like the ecology/evolution section of bio 1, or career
paths.  It is too early yet to see if it is having much effect in recruiting
students to the EEB track or environmental sciences major, but I know I got
some good questions from students about options for including plant-related
stuff in their educational and career trajectory.

Involving students in research and hands on projects in their freshman or
sophomore year can also be a great way to stoke their interest in biology
outside of a clinical setting.

Emily Moran
UC Merced