Dear Jorge,

With many others, my thanks for raising the topic.

Here is how I would handle your dilemma.

I would focus on the criteria (ICMJE) or guidelines (ESA),
keeping in mind these are guidelines and criteria, not
rules and regulations.
Your dilemma is a potential co-author that has not seen
the manuscript and cannot contribute or approve it, or
take responsibility for it, and so falls outside the
ethical guidelines.

As you might know, some journals ask for contact information
for all co-authors and now inform all coauthors
at important steps - submission of the manuscript and decision letter.

So, if you cannot locate the potential co-author, and you
have good reasons to include that person, I would make the
case for including that person, **with your reasons**, in the
cover letter when you submit the manuscript.  The goal
is to think through the topic, in light of best practice
(ICMJE and ESA).

Hope that helps,
David S