Hi all,

I recently read a piece in the New York Times titled, rather revealingly, “The
Utter Uselessness of Job Interviews” (https://nyti.ms/2oNQ0im), which
highlights recent social science research on the utility, or lack thereof, of
unstructured job interviews for assessing job candidates. Over the years, I
have relied heavily on unstructured interviews for evaluating prospective
researchers wanting to join my lab group. A loosely conversational interview
struck me as friendlier, and in principle, able to provide the flexibility to
extemporaneously delve deeper into certain topics. But this NYT piece, and the
research it stems from, suggests that such interviews are at best unhelpful in
identifying the candidate with the highest aptitude, and at worse,
counterproductive. And I have to admit to leaving many interviews feeling like
I didn’t necessarily cover the ground I needed to, or that I didn’t derive much
new insight beyond what I had gleaned from application materials.

So I’m re-thinking my approach by moving instead to a much more structured
format for interviewing. I’m emailing to ask for recommendations for questions
that people have found helpful when interviewing prospective postdocs and grad
students. What questions have you used over the years that have provoked
particularly useful responses?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Nate

Nathan Morehouse
Assistant Professor
Department of Biological Sciences
University of Cincinnati
711H Rieveschl Hall
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0006
Office: (513) 556-9757
colorevolut...@uc.edu<mailto:colorevolut...@uc.edu>
http://www.morehouselab.com<http://www.morehouselab.com/>

"Il y a un autre monde mais il est dans celui-ci." - Paul Éluard