Dear Nathan,

I read the New york times article. I think its good to ask same questions
to all candidates for the position they are being interviewed for. But
along with that they may be asked certain other unique questions based on
their responses to their previous questions, to really know the strengths
of the candidate in various contexts, that cannot be really covered by the
questions asked to everyone.
For example: If a candidate who is being interviewed for doctoral position.
One obvious questions that will be asked is about his/her past research
experiences. Some candidates may have an experience working in say 3-4 labs
during their undergraduate study period, while some may have worked in only
one lab. Now the interview panel may wrongly conclude/infer that latter
candidate has mediocre research experience than the former, but it could be
that the latter candidate found a suitable lab to work on his/her ideas and
thus did not explore much and was able to get a very good grip on the topic
that he/she studied.
As an undergraduate student, I do feel that the grades should not be given
too much importance than the knowledge and the research experience of the
person. The interviews should certainly be designed which would reveal the
real potential of the candidate and also should be in a way that candidate
becomes really expressive in the contexts of the questions asked.
What are your thoughts on this? I hope my mail is not too much outrageous
or offensive to anyone in any manner.

  <https://mailtrack.io/> Sent with Mailtrack
<https://mailtrack.io/install?source=signature&lang=en&referral=chinmayjosh...@iisertvm.ac.in&idSignature=22>

--