Thanks for the input, Hao and Amy!

I absolutely agree that things like GPA should be taken in the broader context
of other metrics. The question I’ve been grappling with is not necessarily what
to use to predict future success in the lab, but rather whether I can get more
information out of interviews than is already available from CVs (GPA,
publication and funding, etc.), letters of interest, and recommendations from
references. Each of these has specific benefits and shortcomings for predicting
success.

I’ve been trying out a more structured interview style over the past several
days while interviewing prospective postdocs, and it has been going well (at
least for me). The particular insight for me of structuring an interview
beforehand is that it forces the hard thinking of what you want to ask and why
before you enter the interview. As a result, you’re more likely to ask better
questions, be more consistent between interviews, and move beyond gut reactions
or snap judgements. I’ve also decided to flip questions from being really open
ended to asking the interviewee to solve a more specific problem. For example,
instead of “Tell me how you balance competing projects,” I’m asking “Imagine a
situation in which you have two important deadlines, but you discover you can’t
meet both. What do you do?”

This approach reminds me of recommendations for search committees seeking to
avoid implicit biases when evaluating faculty applicants. A common piece of
advice is for the search committee to agree upon a set of evaluation criteria
and a clear ranking scheme before reading any applications. Then all committee
members endeavor to rank all applicants based on the criteria. Of course, this
system can be gamed in favor of people “you just liked”, but one has to
consciously cheat the system to introduce such biases.

Cheers,

Nate

Nathan Morehouse
Assistant Professor
Department of Biological Sciences
University of Cincinnati
711H Rieveschl Hall
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0006
Office: (513) 556-9757
colorevolut...@uc.edu<mailto:colorevolut...@uc.edu>
http://www.morehouselab.com<http://www.morehouselab.com/>

"Il y a un autre monde mais il est dans celui-ci." - Paul Éluard