Richard,

What do you mean by: "or sending XML data without a framework to
> constrain it." ?  Are you talking about having a pre-defined understanding
between trading partners as to what each XML tag means?

I see this as a basic requirement of ANY computer-computer interaction that
involves automated intelligent processing. This is just the same as the
X12/EDIFACT/etc transaction formatting standards, right?  If I wasn't given
(or had access to in another way) the definitions by my trading partners of
what all those transactions/segments meant then I wouldn't be able to know
where it fit into my databases.... XML or X12 or EDIFACT or any other
formatting standard.  So, whether it is XML or X12 doesn't make the fact
that you need to know what it all MEANS any different.  I have no
extraordinary love of XML as a formatting standard but, then again, neither
do I have any more love for X12/EDIFACT/etc.

I *would* like to see my major trading partners move to an internet-based
transport mechanism and get rid of this Bisync 3780 junk they have now.  My
support costs for that one piece of hardware/software outweighs all the
internet connection hardware/software costs by a factor of 4!  I'd be happy
with just the plain old X12 formatting but if they'd go with XML then it
would take two translating steps out of my loop for all of my various
clients.

- A Hilton