"Hurd, Richard A (Rich)" wrote:

> The first time I read about XML I was amused.  Oh boy, another framework
> that needs to have standard implemented on top of it.  Deja vu all over
> again.   However, the first time I read about screen scraping (or
> "electronic rip and read") I just recoiled in horror.

It may be the context in which screen scraping was present (silver
bullit there as well?). One place where "screen scraping" is a useful
tool, is where you have an application that is critical to your
business process and to which you need an updated electronic
interface, but there is none, and you cannot change the
application/have it changed. In this case, it is possible to build
both webbased user interfaces and EDI-type machine interfaces, where
the screen scraping technology makes the "legacy" application is
encapsulated. Of course the key thing is that the application CANNOT
be changed. Instead it should become just a component that you can
replace when needed, with the same interfaces in place.

Just my E.05 on screen scraping.

Erlend.