> My point exactly!  Why are we touting XML as the next best thing to canned
> bread when we already HAVE frameworks?  We don't need no steenking
> frameworks!

I can see good points and bad points to both formatting options and those
have been discussed to death by lots of articles (some seem right-on and
some are completely off-the-mark... reader beware).  Since I'm in the
process of moving some of my application data/message transport to an XML
format, I wouldn't mind seeing the EDI data coming to/from the TPs in the
same format (given everything else being equal). This allows me to use the
same optimized routines and fewer translation/processing applications to do
the same job.  I can also read the blasted transactions easier with XML than
with X12 formatting. Of course, as the TPs use more arcane tags
 <BillOfLading>  is going to become <DJekkl13lk> if some business manager
ever has his say in the matter! They can't just keep they're mitts off the
formatting for long), this benefit will erode in time.

This all answers your last question too. The more data flowing in & out &
within the organization with the same format, the easier, faster, and
cheaper the Price-Per-Bit for me.

- A Hilton