>> Us IT folks like to think that we drive B2B e-commerce, but the real
revolution in B2B e-commerce will occur when the business side realizes what
can really be done.

Thanks for your provocative message, Kevin.

Improved use of computers in business ... revolutions, if you will ... have
been "just around the corner" for 20 or 30 years now. B2B, distributed
processing (among trading partners), on-line, supply chains, portals,
object-oriented, XML ... these are the current concepts and tools for the
continuing advance. Two years from now that list will be different.

As IT professionals it is our duty to introduce and promote IT concepts. We
should promote concepts we feel will improve the business process to
management. Change, however, will be gradual in the business world "out
there." If you want to be on the leading edge, it seems to me you must
straddle the line between what is and what can be in B2B. Dream about what
can be and how it can be achieved, but also root your understanding in what
is true now. Then use all your persuasive powers, kept in perspective, to
keep the ball moving forward.

It is attractive to see us (IT) versus them (business people). After all,
they are ... business people. (Don't say anything more in public!) The truth
is that we must be team players to be effective. That starts by getting
really interested in the business and realizing that IT is one part of the
picture.

(And if you develop a great idea and want to start a dot.com, let me know!
:^)

Orin Rehorst