Jay,
     Thank you very much for the information.  I do have a follow-up questions.
If someone is using PGP(or some other file encryption tool) to encrypt a file
that is sent using FTP versus FTP using SSL, what are the major advantages and
disadvantages?  Is it that using FTP and SSL will protect the user id and
password being passed?  Where "standard" FTP would pass that in the "open"?

Thanks
Jonathan Showalter

|--------+------------------------->
|        |          "Rosansky, Jay"|
|        |          <Jay.Rosansky@H|
|        |          Q.DOE.GOV>     |
|        |                         |
|        |          06/15/2000     |
|        |          10:51 AM       |
|        |          Please respond |
|        |          to "Rosansky,  |
|        |          Jay"           |
|        |                         |
|--------+------------------------->
  |       To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                      |
  |       cc:     (bcc: Jonathan Showalter/MutualOMA)                          |
  |       Subject:     Re: Secure FTP using SSL                                |

I think you have a few misconceptions.

First, packets are sometimes "destroyed" or dropped in the normal functioning of
any tcp/ip based network.  That is why TCP numbers all of the packets it sends
and automatically retransmits ones not acknowledged (conceptually similar to EDI
997s).  FTP, adds another level of data corruption checking.

Because information sent using standard FTP is not encrypted, including your
user ID and password, it is possible for someone to see this information if they
can gain access to a system along the actual path that your data takes. (not
easy).  Also, if they get your user ID and password they can spoof a
transmission from you and send bogus data.

SSL solves these problems using encryption algorithms RSA public key encryption
for authentication and DES (or some other symmetric key encryption algorithm) to
encrypt your data.

The strength of these encryption mechanisms depends to a large extent on key
length used.  I believe, RSA encryption with a key of 1024 bits is currently
considered not crackable.  Shorter key lengths may be crackable but only with
great effort.  A newer algorithm called elliptical curve can also serve a
similar function but has not had time to be as well evaluated.

DES usually uses 56 bit keys.  This was considered uncrackable up until a few
years ago.  Now it can be cracked, but only with great effort.  Triple-DES is
being used as a replacement. (Triple DES has an effective key length of 112.) I
believe it is currently not crackable.  There are other algorithms that can be
used instead of Triple-DES but, I believe, their security has been less well
established.

Of course the effectiveness of these algorithms can be compromised if they are
not carefully implemented.  (As has been recently demonstrated by problems with
Internet Explorer, and Navigator.)  But, even when the implementation is less
than perfect and short keys are used these algorithms provide a vastly more
secure mechanism for transporting files then plane FTP.

I hope this helps some.

Jay Rosansky
ACS-GSG