You seem to have missed the potential for someone to take your
files from the FTP server you are downloading data from.. also
deleting the files waiting to be downloaded by you.

There is also a new ftp client and server (cannot remember exactly
what it is called, maybe sFTP ? ) that encrupts the user id and
password (but not the session..) this would make it fairly safe
to use PGP to encrypt the file.