The PaperFree ECMap comes with a standalone exe that does an excellent job
of "Unwrapping" X12 documents.

I have also created shortcuts to this and instructed my PaperFree clients to
use it to "Open" edi.  Very powerful and simple to use.

It is by far one of the best ones I have used IMHO, and much quicker and
simpler than "Search/Replace".