Jim and Ron:

There is no standard length for the BOL at this time, which by the way is
supplied by the shipper in many cases, not the carrier.  One of the UCC/VICS
work groups is trying to standardize the BOL number for the retail industry,
however, other industries may or may not follow the UCC's lead.  Therefore
the BOL number can be any length.  No Max or Min.

There is no industry standard for trailer number length that I am aware of.
There is an equipment number standard for the ocean and rail industries.
That does include Intermodal trailers, I believe.  My recollection is that
the max length for the equipment number is less than 10 digits in the rail
and ocean industries.  But I am afraid that I no longer have the
documentation here at Kleinschmidt that I had when I was with ATA, so I
can't tell you for sure what the exact length is.  I also believe that most,
if not all, motor carrier trailer numbers are less than 10 characters.  Note
that data element 207, which is equipment number, is only 10 characters long
anyway.

Remember, the X12 standard is generic and the length of the data element may
bear no relationship with the actual data length that is to be transmitted
therein.  Exceptions being those data elements with X12 code lists, old TDCC
data elements that have not been generalized, ISA data elements and so
forth.  Data element 207 is an old TDCC data element, where the length of
the data element does have some relationship to the actual data being
passed.  UN/EDIFACT data elements are less reliable with their standard
min/max.  XML, well anything goes in XML. :)

Doug

Doug Anderson
Assistant Vice President Sales Support
Kleinschmidt Inc.