> As for Wal-Mart I offer my clients Interface Systems' solution which
> is:  Cleo 3780Plus software plus the Hayes Optima internal 56K modem -
> at around $1700.00 it does the trick.  I wrote DOS batch files for
> Windows 9x and NT to rename and archive files as they come in to the
> date and time they arrive.

My research didn't come up with Cleo's product (and I just tried accessing
their website without luck... are they still alive?) a year ago but I found
a similar solution to the 3780 Bisync problem from Serengeti Systems'
3780Link product. It also uses the Hayes Optima modem but at just around
$1200 - $1500. That's still a clunky and relatively unflexible solution to
trasferring EDI data IMO. Although I haven't directly connected with Walmart
by Bisync I have used it to connect to another major USA company that simply
refuses to use anything but 3780 Bisync.

I, like you, wish the company would at least explore other alternatives and
open up the options of the low-end partners. Perhaps they'd get more
partners onboard.  Sure, security is always an issue but when is it not..
regardless of it being internet-based?  There are certainly ways of
protecting yourself no matter which way you go and the effort shouldn't be
wasted on one communication line and one part of the enterprises' total
outside communication.

> The Internet beats the heck out of a $1700.00 price tag.  With AT&T as
> my VAN and their free software I can send secure EDI data over the
> Internet.  If only AT&T took care of Wal-Mart for me...
>
> -RD

- A Hilton