I can sympathize with you here Mary.  I feel that I spent enough on Windows
3.1 and Office 95 when they came out but I did have to pay an upgrade fee
when I wanted to use software that only ran on Windows 95.  I could have
saved my money and just kept going with 3.1 but there were enhancements in
Windows 95 that I liked and software I needed that ran on 95 so I upgraded
(but boy did I wait a while before doing so).  The same can be said for many
software titles that I have purchased and have had to upgrade at a cost and
in many cases there were maintenance pieces included in them.  Did I like
this?  No.  In fact what Microsoft did is even less drastic than what we are
doing.  I HAD to purchase the upgraded software in order to use newly
developed software by other vendors.  In our case you will simply not be
able to receive support.   I believe that the enhancements found in
e-Version 5 provide a solid value proposition in and of themselves.

Just like in other software companies, nobody is forced to migrate to
e-Version 5.  In order to continue support however there was a strategic
decision (one in which I of course was not a party to) made by the company
that given the changes of the new version we could no longer afford to
support the older versions since in many cases there are some fundamental
differences in the old Trusted Link software and e-Version 5.  You are
however credited for your previous purchase of Trusted Link.  Software
companies sunset products all the time because of business conditions.  The
decision was made to sunset the old versions of Trusted Link and as a
salesperson I am bound by that decision.  This does not mean you cannot USE
the software anymore however.  Quite the contrary, you can still use it but
you will not be able to call technical support for issues on the old
software.  In addition as a result of many complaints we HAVE listened to
our customer base and taken some actions such as providing customers with
reduced maintenance for next year.  In fact many of the benefits of
e-Version 5 will contribute to a lower TCO of the software so while there is
an upfront fee associated with migration to e-V5 most customers will be able
to realize smaller VAN charges via our IP based VAN.

I realize that little (if anything) in this email will help quell your
disgust with the situation but unfortunately that is the way things are.  My
only advice is to speak with your sales rep and see what you can work out
with them.  Other than that you can continue with the product unsupported
(and quite frankly if support has been that bad then you have nothing to
lose on this front).

Matt Park
Account Executive
Peregrine's E-Business Connectivity Group
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Fax: (404) 467-3365
Phone: (800) 555-2989 ext. 3365
www.peregrine.com

Legal Note: The above message reflects my personal opinion and does not
necessarily reflect the opinion of Peregrine, Inc. or its employees.