I work in a large Fortune 500 corporation, I have been
tasked with exploring the feasibility of instituting
EDI to exchange various transactions with our clients
(PO's, Invoices, Remittance etc.). We are in a B to B
enviroment with a variety of clients from the very
large (IBM, GE etc.) to the very small (school
districts etc.) I am not an IT professional and have
been reading this board as well as whatever else I can
get my hands on to get educated. IBM has asked us to
participate in their Fox Forms Exchange program and
various other large clients are asking for us to send
them our invoices electronically. Any advise,
direction or resources for information for a novice
would be appreciated. My most basic question is: How
can we institute an EDI program that will be the same
for all of our clients? Some (like IBM) seem to have
proprietary systems that we do not want any part of
since they will create much more work for us. Also, I
have been reading about the VAN vs Internet option and
wonder what advantage a VAN offers other than
security? Thanks!