Anthony Whitehead wrote:

> Well, I have never encountered any rules when it comes to separators, if I
am
> wrong I would hope someone on the list would enlighten me!
>
> to reply to the statement below I am not quite sure I understand your
first
> paragraph, you are looking at the ISA16 and stating that the min/max is 1.
This
> is true but it is the actual character not in hex format.  If it were
looking at
> the hex character then nothing would work because all hex characters are 2
> charters representing one key character.

Mr Dakin gave you the syntax published in the ANSI X12.5 specifications. I
found the X12.5 and X12.6 specifications somewhere on the Internet in PDF
format, but I forgot/failed to note where; but a Web serach for "X12.5"
should prove fruitful. ALL the rules are in those publications.

As far as "hex" characters: there is no such thing as a "hex character".  A
"hex pair"
(e.g., x'0D' ) is only a convenient representation of a single character,
not two distinct characters, and represents the value of the eight bits
which make up that byte if you consider those bits as what "bit" means -
BInary digiTs - and convert the resulting value to base 16 (decimal).

Michael C. Mattias
Tal Systems
Racine WI