Anthony Beecher asked "Does anyone know where in IBM System 370 they can
look for the character conversion application and its rules?" even
though http://www.primefactors.com/inside/FaqDesEdi.html
says "there is no standardly accepted translation table."

Dear Anthony:

Besides Prime Factors' bad grammar, their information may be bad, also.
Take a look at Appendix E, Translation tables, in IBM's Information
Exchange via TCP/IP FTP Gateway User's Guide, Order number GC34-2345-01,
at http://edi.services.ibm.com/ie/publications.shtml.  There are tables
for EBCDIC to ASCII conversion, and vice versa.  It looks like the same
information is available in HTML at the University of Illinois at
Urbana/Champaign in their Quick Reference tables at
http://www.uiuc.edu/ccso/pubs/all/qr/QR_0.8table2.html.

I was hoping that this would be my last posting to EDI-L before I dumped
all this e-commerce and EDI stuff once and for all.  I wanted to be a
big-shot Senator with a mahogany office, interns, and a reserved parking
spot under the Capitol, but the voters are fickle and fate has not been
kind.  Fortunately, I didn't quit my day job, and plan to trudge ahead
until my next chance comes. See the results at
http://www.wbns10tv.com/leader/race1516.htm.  The Ohio 16th is about as
single-party as Albania, where the last Democrat was seen in 1964.  The
big-moneyed interests, I tell you, have once more thwarted our hopes and
dreams for freedom and liberty; see "Mead outspends Kammerer 92-to-1 in
16th Senate race" at
http://www.snponline.com/ELECTION2000/all16senate2.htm

William J. Kammerer
FORESIGHT Corp.