Bill,
 It is not a universal truth that the GLN cost something.  While it is
recognized that some EAN Member Organizations (MOs) do charge for a GLN,
within the US if an organization already has a manufacture's prefix for
assigning U.P.C.s then that same prefix can be used for the assignment of
GLNs. There is no collision with the U.P.C.'s because there is always a
different qualifier for GLN.  In addition most retailers within the US
already have a company prefix for private label items.

Although there are no hard and fast rules for the methodology employed to
create the GLN, an organization with a company prefix can simple use their
existing internal number coupled with the company prefix to create the GLN.
With that a large company can create up to 10,0000 location codes.  Lease
note there is an assumption that the internal number is completely numeric,
since the GLN is numeric.

Within UCCnet we are looking at the location codes for physical locations,
stores, warehouses, docks, etc.  These GLNs are registered in the
GLOBALregistry(tm) along with their relationship with each other.  This can
also be sent via a X12 816 like some retailers are doing today.

Within the global registry system these GLNs can be published to trade
partners through the UCCnet publication / subscription mechanism in a
similar fashion as the GTIN (Global Trade Identification Number).

You can find out more at http://www.uccnet.org

We are in the process of defining the interoperability of the various
country catalogues within the EAN•UCC system.  We have commitments from
Canada, Germany, Mexico, Australia, and Switzerland at this time and are
working with service providers of several other country catalogues which
will be announced soon.  This will create a global system of registry
services and data synchronization, which is the keystone of all
collaborative commerce.  We are also working with various exchanges and user
organizations such as VICS and the Global Commerce Initiative (GCI).

All of this is public knowledge and readily available.

Best Regards,

James D. Sykes II
Product Management
UCCnet(r), Inc.