From:   Electronic Data Interchange Issues [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
On Behalf Of Dwight Andrews
Sent:   Tuesday, April 03, 2001 11:28 PM
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        Re: Location Systems ( was Walmart shipping information)

Jim
But how much will it cost a user to be forced to go to UCCNet to retrieve
the GLN plus address information?  I am sure that the UCC does not have
plans to make the 816's available to anyone for free.
[James D. Sykes II] - There is a subscription fee for all subscribers.  This
fee is based on our cost recovery model.  UCCnet is a neutral not for profit
organization.  The fee is based on revenue of the subscriber.  The lowest
tier is $1,500 / year for organizations up to 100 Million.  The method of
data exchange is XML.  This includes GTIN and GLN registry as well as the
trading partner capabilities registry.

And how often does one have to go out to get the data?  Then instead of
having to keep one database current (the senders) you have to maintain a
minimum of 4 databases and keep them in sync all of the time, the sender,
the repository, the transportation carrier, and the receiver.  And everyone
has to keep their databases current and has to keep checking with either the
sender or the repository to see if any changes have been made.
All this to save sending some data from the owner of the data?
[James D. Sykes II] The key is data synchronization, which has not been
achieved in the CPG industry to any great extent.  UCCnet serves as the
trusted authority for base item data and its distributed architecture links
to the source of other item data.  When one considers the time and resources
needed to resolve invoice and shipping discrepancies arising from item data
in the trading partners systems (both within and outside the enterprise) the
cost savings can approach 30%.  We have the numbers to prove that.  The
synchronization occurs via UCCnet's publication / subscription mechanism.

Now this would not be too bad if it weren't for the fact that every industry
has its own "GLN".  So if you cross industries, like transportation, you
have to maintain multiple files with multiple location codes.  And the same
location can have multiple codes assigned to it.
[James D. Sykes II] While not all industries utilize the GLN,  the 23
industries that UCC serve do, or are planning to use.  UCCnet is not out to
change the world; just 23 industries.  Eventually users in cross industries
may demand interoperability.  When that occurs UCCnet will work with others
in any industry to solve the problem.

And, by the way, how many digits in the GLN?  The same as a DUNS+4?
[James D. Sykes II] The GLN is 13 digits managed in a similar manner as the
GTIN; it is not the same structure as the DUN+4.

To learn more about the system attend one of our orientation sessions, which
are open to anyone.  The schedule can be found at http://www.uccnet.org.  In
addition there are several articles referenced under NEWS which will provide
additional perspectives.

Dwight