I don't think any one location coding system is "winning" in the U.S. For
example, in the health care supply chain we've had the Health Industry
Number (HIN) for well over a decade, but it's still not in common use for
specifying ship-to locations. Many organizations are still using their
proprietary coding scheme.

The Upn is not a code system for location. Rather, it's the Universal
Product Number, a unique identifier for medical products. It incorporates
two supplier labeling standards: one from the Health Industry Business
Communications Council (HIBCC) and the other from UCC.

That said, I believe that other industries do make heavy use of some
variation on the DUNS. But, my hunch is that for the most part, there are
industry-specific coding schemes that are predominately used in a given
industry, e.g., SCAC in transportation. Advantages/disadvantages, in my
opinion, don't reside with any given coding scheme, but rather are with
widespread usage in a given industry. The real benefit is in being able to
avoid using one's proprietary internal coding scheme when dealing with the
outside world.

Rachel

Greetings,

Which location system is winning in the United States of America ?
Is it GLN ( Bill could you please provide a web site?)
EAN or do you call it UPN ?
DUNS ?

What are the perceived advantages and disadvantages ?