From: William J. Kammerer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2001 4:45 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Location Systems ( was Walmart shipping information)

Dwight Andrews asked James Sykes "If a single company produces product
for multiple grocery chains using UPC assigned by the grocery chain,
will the same loading dock have multiple GLN's depending on the product
destination?"

Is that a trick question? I would've said that it works best if the
manufacturer (you know - the guy who owns the loading dock), independent
of the UPCs on the product.  The manufacturer's dock "address" doesn't
change depending on who's being shipped to.

Now having said that, I have a question of my own: who invented the
DUNS+4? It surely wasn't Dun & Bradstreet - it sounds more like an
ad-hoc convention;  maybe one of the old-timers - which surely excludes
me - can tell us the story.  And if there's nothing magical about
DUNS+4, why not a DUNS+6 to allow for more store locations or loading
docks or whatever?

William J. Kammerer
FORESIGHT Corp.
4950 Blazer Pkwy.