Rachel,

couldn't the situation become different with XML? The EDI translator
is usually an add-on to a piece of software, and there are some
translators that do not really support the construction of 'valid
transactions/documents' (meaning that it is as easy to create invalid
documents as it is to create valid documents, and there are no easy
ways to validate a document against a standard). Now (validating?) XML
parsers seem to be(come) a standard part of many pieces of software,
so we could start seeing the first pieces of software that do create
'valid transactions/documents'. At least the necessity to have an
automated process to deal with the reporting of processing exceptions
will become a lot less (assuming that the reason for the automated
process is that there are so many exceptions). But as you say, this is
theory.

rgds,

Erlend.