Maybe I missed it as part of the multiple messages about 997's, but it is worth repeating.  The 997 is used for more than just a response that you received data.  It includes checking syntax, including looking for missing mandatory segments and elements, looking for improper structure, completeness of the message using control numbers and segment counts.  And with the recent changes in X12 it will even allow someone to check against an Implementation Guide.

With all of the work that I have done with XML I have yet to see anyone implement a similar type of control structure.  Whenever I have asked the response you always get is that is only a problem in EDI because of its weaknessess and will not be a problem with XML.  Yet I have seen incomplete XML data exchanged and the only way to resolve it is a phone call.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

Dwight