From: "Mark Kusiak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, May 07, 2001 4:18 PM
Subject: Re: EDI over the Internet

Joe,

We transfer files in our back end using FTP and have a
very eloquent solution.

We transfer a .DAT file and a .DONE file containing
the byte count of the
data file after.

If the .DONE file, byte count does not agree with the
.DAT file or the
.DONE file is not present, then the condition is
trapped such that an
investigation can be commenced to determine the source
of the issue.

We have been using this scheme for about three years
with very good
hands free results.  It virtually ensures that the
whole file got there
in one piece.  Our processes are set to test and trap
the existence of
both as a condition to process as well as matching the
byte count contained
in the .DONE file with the actual byte length of the
.DAT file

I will give you that this is an in-house standard, but
it would not be
a bad idea to use via the internet for the same
purposes.  It provides
simplicity with a virtually robust FTP environment
that allows for trapping
the problems when they occur.

the object is that this file name for both are the
same as in the
following.

somethingtoprocess.DAT

This file contains the data as meant for processing on
the target system.
the data can be EDI, Proprietary formats, XML or what
ever....

somethingtoprocess.DONE

Contains the information pertaining to the .DAT file
above including a count of
the number of bytes transmitted across the connection
as the first record in the file.

The net result is that the presence of the .DONE file
indicates that the transfer of the
first file succeeded, because it is moved if the first
FTP put succeeded.  A match on the
byte count contained in the .DONE file and the actual
length of the .DAT file ensures that
the total .DAT file made it to the target system.
Both checks must be passed to process the
file.

Once the process has occurred, the files are archived
in another directory for backup and this
removes them from being processed a second subsequent
time by another later process.

As I stated in my opening remarks, this solution is
very simple to accomplish.  It virtually
eliminates the inherent problems with FTP.

Regards,

Mark