Jim Divoky said:

> > the 997 becomes almost meaningless, and is just like the Block-ACK
> > in an X-Modem data transfer.
>
> I do not see the 997 this way and neither do the EDI Coordinators on this
> list who spend too much time on Functional Acknowledgment Reconciliation.

I don't often see the 997 that way either.  I didn't mean to insult any
EDI Coordinators who are blessed to have FA reconciliation as a part of
their job descriptions.  What I was saying was that in the specific context
of the HIPAA scenario (if I understood Rachel Foerester correctly) where
checking against the IG is mandated rather than the X12 standard, the
997 has less value and the 824 becomes the critical document for them.

> The 997 is commonly part of the legal contract between the trading partners.
> It impinges on non-repudiation & authentication of the business contract.
> It serves as a tracking and batch reconciliation document for IT operations.

All good stuff, and like an X-Modem transfer, it ACKs receipt of the block
in question and the trading relationship moves on.  The transfer could not
proceed without the 997, and the 997 continues to have useful functionality
in most cases.

> 824s when used often report only error conditions, i.e., no news is good
> news or exception reporting.(See CUBR or UIG.)

I too have seen this.  However, there is nothing to stop the 824 being used
as a positive acknowledgement: "good data, liked it, next".  I have heard of
that situation being used.

> I know a number of sites that while they send and receive 997s totally
> ignore them.

We have customers who do exactly that - they are simply not interested in
the 997 at all and do it automtically (in fact, we do it for them) to
keep their (larger) trading partner happy.

Jonathan