I'd think "validation against an IG" rather than "against the the X12
standard " might entail a couple of different "levels" of compilance...

1. Required/optional/forbidden segments at various levels of the document.
'Required'  could include "minimim/maximum required (per loop ID or document
position)".

2. For required/optional/not permitted segments, " business data" conveyed.
For example, an IG might read that (using a HIPAA-like example) two NM1
segments are required: One to identify the patient, one to identify the
facility.

You might see the same thing in an 850 PO: two DTM segments required, one
with "ship not before," one "ship not after."

3. Code values accepted for item type ID; may vary with the location of an
element within the document.

4. Then the trickest one, because there is no way any "off the shelf
commercial translator" to handle it: when the IG says, "Must be a valid
800-lb Gorilla, Inc. Purchase Order Number"

I think several people have commented about how the 997 is used in "REAL
LIFE" primarily as a "receipt" document, with application-specific variance
handled with an '824' or a phone call.

Interesting topic, this is....

Michael C. Mattias
Tal Systems