Of course, another and improved document can replace the 997.  Go for it.
Improvements can definitely be made to
current practices.

>> one that can easily be changed
As far as being cast in concrete, those of us who actually work in EDI operations know
that it might as well be.  The
chain of events required to eliminate the 997 will take years.  I just spent several
years doing Y2K upgrades.  It
surprised me how many major organizations were still using V2000 & V2003 prior to Y2K
conversion.  I believe they date
to late 80's-early 90's.  One was Wal-Mart.  That meant, of course, that their 57,000
suppliers also had to support
V2003.

I worked for two EDI software providers including Sterling and I can tell you from
experience that getting the changes
required to support the use of both the 824 and the 997 as functional acknowledgements
is a major re-work and will
only be done when large customers demand it.  Simply specing a modified 824 will not
cause that to happen.  If,
however, HIPAA requirements demanded it, we could expect support very quickly.

>>There's nothing in the EDI standards or any state or federal regulation that
> requires the use of the 997
Yes, 997's are mandated in at least some state regulations.  They are required in all
states for the Retail Choice
deregulation for the utility industry.